Marathon Training vs. Baby Having

I’ll say this for pregnancy — I’ve definitely got more of a social life now than I did in the days years of devoting a weekend to a long run. I will also say this for pregnancy — it brings with it a fatigue and a desire to nap that is roughly comparable to the running comas of yesterday.

Since returning to Kansas, we’ve managed to stay pretty busy. There have been lots and lots of family and friends to see, meet for dinner, and play cards with…and that’s just the beginning.

There was the big ol’ family get-together to scare off my brother’s girlfriend I mean, meet my brother’s lady friend for the first time. Grandma, aunts and uncles, cousins, and even one high school friend who must have heard the siren call of free BBQ and decided to stop by. Mademoiselle (the lady friend is from France…that’s the best nickname I can think of at the moment!) seemed to take the crowd, the chatter, and the pressure of introductions and names to learn in stride. Thank goodness she’s an outgoing girl…and thank extra goodness that she likes to play board games. That little fact is the secret to being instantly welcomed into our family.

There was the Cross Country reunion…most of the girls who ran in either the year ahead of or before me brought their husbands and children, and the whole crew met up for an evening of catching up and remembering back. This was back when my stomach still wasn’t entirely under my control, but even feeling mid- to high-level queasy it was a blast.

There was the Jeff Dunham show and my first trip to Kansas City’s Power & Light district. (I have a feeling that the second of those would be a bit more fun if I were in a condition to sample a beverage that would require me to break out my ID…the ratio of bars to anything else in those few blocks is probably 10:1!) Tickets to Jeff Dunham were a birthday present from my lovely husband, and we laughed and laughed and laughed…until the last half hour of the show (which started close to what was normally my bedtime), when staying awake became a major challenge.

All this for the girl whose weekends are typically comprised of a casual two-to-three hour run on Saturday…and then the rest of Satur and all of Sunday in recovery. It’s madness, I tell you!

And then there’s last week, which put all the rest to shame:

  • Thursday, we went to the Chiefs game with some of Scott’s family. The game started at 7:00 (eep!) and rain threatened…my outlook plummeted proportionately. As soon as we got out of the car, the drops started fall. Fortunately, by the time we found our seats the sun was shining and a rainbow arced over Arrowhead Stadium. Ah…I pulled myself out of the mood death spiral and began to think positively. This was going to be fun! Maybe the Chiefs would actually win! …and they did!
  • Friday dawned, and fatigue had definitely set up camp. Ugh. No rest for the weary or the pregnant…hubby and I got to take a brief break from work to go to my monthly doctor’s appointment. All is well with LilRunr and I, and being able to witness Scott as he heard his progeny’s heartbeat for the first time was an amazing experience. I know that this whole journey has got to seem unreal to him right now, so it was really nice to be able to share with him undeniable proof of LilRunr’s existence. Way, way, cool.
  • Friday’s not over yet. After work, we headed for the Capitol to meet up with more of Scott’s family. His aunt was in town from California and we had a date to meet the whole bunch for dinner. It was fun, and not just because Scott’s mom is adhering to the resolution that she can’t be in my presence without offering me a gift. No, really. So far, I’ve gotten cards, a scrapbook with lots of fun stickers, and my first item of maternity clothing (which happens to be a t-shirt that says “Mom in Training”, which I’m planning to wear running once my current shirts decide to stop fitting). I feel like I need to remind her that she’s going to be seeing me a LOT, and there’s still 25 weeks of pregnancy to go! But then again…maybe I won’t. 🙂 By the time we were on our way home, I was reduced to whining like a 5-year-old that I didn’t want to move or think or talk (just whine, apparently), and that “my arms and legs are too tired to even moooooove! I don’t think I can waaaaaaaaaalk!” Listen, I was tired. Very, very tired.
  • Saturday, a buddy from a different part of Kansas (formerly written about on this blog under the nickname “Winter Warrior”) drove up for a visit. He wanted to see us, sure, but I think he had an ulterior motive — he’s now the “Summer Samurai” and is training for the Route 66 marathon early this fall, so he had a 20-miler to get in last weekend and chose to take advantage of our gorgeous trails and Scott’s company on the bike.
  • Also Saturday, we went to the College Basketball Experience and Hall of Fame. Husband is a KU fan and…well, that about says it all. Husband is a KU fan. He and the Summer Samurai had a blast competing with each other in all of the challenges (most free throws, buzzer beater, dunk contest, and more), and it was only with much perseverance that I managed to extricate them from the razzle dazzle of college basketball and take them to…
  • A Royals game. The fun just doesn’t stop around here, folks. We got to hang with Trophy Wife, her husband the Olympic Buddy, and his fam. Husband et al watched the game, I sort of paid it occasional mind only to suddenly notice that we were in the 7th inning. Heh. I can tell you that the Royals played Detroit, that they lost, and that when a fella from the other team scored his first base hit in the major leagues, the hometown fans cheered for him. Aw, sportsmanship.
  • Sunday, the Summer Samurai completed his 20-miler and I roused myself to make him a big recovery breakfast. The rest of Sunday…was rest.

Coming up next…which is better: baseball or football? I weigh in as a true expert, having attended events from both sports in barely 48 hours of each other.


One response

  1. Wow that was impressive!! It seems you all are CATCHING up on your socializing since moving back to KS 😉 Glad it’s all going well and so glad to hear you all are settling back into KS life nicely. Wahoo!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s