I forgot that DeAnna did one of those “chain” blog posts last week and tagged me. Normally, I tend to ignore these things like I ignore a whiny toddler who’s learning the “whine threshold” for parental manipulation…but this is DeAnna. We’ve been friends since WE were the whiny toddlers, and because of that (and also because this is a blog and writing about myself is kind of what I do), here is my response to the WRITE 11 FACTS ABOUT YOURSELF AND THEN ANSWER 11QUESTIONS blog post.
- I have trouble saying the words “quinoa” and “osso buco.” I don’t know why. I mispronounced both once, and now for some reason I’m stuck with my original mispronunciation rather than the correct one.
- Speaking of language, did you know that I minored in Spanish in college? I once wrote a 10-page analysis of Don Quixote IN SPANISH, which seems crazy to me now. My reading comprehension is still fairly decent, but conversationally I stink. This means that when I meet my sister-in-law’s Peruvian family members this fall, we should write each other notes to communicate.
- I signed LilRunr and I up for one of those organic produce delivery services a couple of weeks ago. I keep meaning to blog about it as a “veggie adventure,” but then I forget. I feel a little silly about it, but it has been saving me time and diversifying our diet. Also, it’s incredibly fun to get an entire cooler full of delicious food on our doorstep.
- I’ve always said that I could NEVER see myself making a child cry it out. Last night, I woke up for the 4th time listening to LilRunr rustle around in his bed. He let out a couple of “warning cries” that usually mean he’s working up to a full wail, and I got out of bed to get his bottle ready. I thought/hoped it was at least 6:00am, but it turns out that it was only 4:30. I’d been up with him at midnight, and dang it but I was tired. Mister was still in “warning cry” mode, so I put the bottle back in the fridge, climbed back in bed, and told a (maybe) sleeping Scott that I was just going to pretend that little man was going to go back to sleep on his own. You know what? He did. I’m not sure whether that makes me a terrible, selfish mom for leaving him in his crib or a smart, forward-thinking mom for giving him a chance to settle himself.
- I’d like for LilRunr to have a lil’ brother or sister…someday.
- I get to be a bridesmaid at my brother’s wedding this fall! Broskie and Mademoiselle got married in a civil ceremony last year, but they’d still like to have the big ol’ shindig in a church with a reception and lots of friends and family around. Mademoiselle asked me to be in the wedding party, and I’m tickled. It’ll be only the second wedding party I’ve been a part of.
- A long, long time ago, I told my then-boyfriend Scott that I thought that bouquets were sad. I think I said something about how I’d never want to receive a bunch of dying flowers. I wish I wouldn’t have said that.
- I NEED A RACE TO RUN IN MARCH! We were going to go somewhere far, far away and I was going to run there, but now we’re not going and I need a race. I’d prefer for it to be under a 10k, as I haven’t done many long runs lately. Ideas? Anyone, anyone?
- I have a big birthday coming up this summer. I’ll be hitting a new decade, and I’m finally starting to feel like I’m not some college student anymore. I guess having a baby will do that to you.
- I cross stitch in my (no longer existent) spare time. I’ve probably mentioned that before, but I just finished a bib for a cousin’s baby shower, and I’m really happy with how it turned out.
- I’ve realized that some of these aren’t really “facts.” Ah, well. Let me conclude this section with the confession that I’d like to run a 1:45:00 half marathon this year. That’ll probably be this fall, as it will soon be too warm for me to want to run 13 miles.
And now, 11 Questions from DeAnna
- What’s the one article of clothing you couldn’t do without?
Running shorts. I know I’ve blogged about that before. I have this obsession with Nike Tempo running shorts.
- If you were president of the US, what is the first thing you’d change?
I’d make it so that all of the millions of dollars in campaign money went to pay down the national debt or fund actual helpful things like schools or community programs. I hate campaign season, and my current pet peeve is how these people raise millions of dollars in a day and turn around and spend it on negative ads, bumper stickers, and t-shirts.
- If you could make money doing something besides your current job what would it be? (Don’t say blogging, we all want to be professional bloggers!)
This is a tough one, because I LOVE my job and the people I work with. I work from home. I find my work incredibly rewarding. And you do remember this January, when I went to the company’s annual retreat in Charleston, right? If I had to do something else, though, I’d like to work with animals. In my unemployed stretch after graduating with my MA, I volunteered with a cat rescue group and had a blast. It was a way to help animals, and play with some adorable kittens without having to adopt enough to become a crazy cat lady.
- If you could pick up any skill you don’t currently have what would it be?
This is an awesome question! I’d like to be able to speak French flawlessly so that sister-in-law and I can communicate in either of our primary languages.
- Jeans or yoga/workout pants?
Heh. I work from home, and often Scott takes LilRunr to daycare. This means that on the average day, I have no reason whatsoever to get dressed. Sweatpants for the win!
- A day you remember being truly happy.
Well, obviously I’m going to have to go with the mom answer and say that the day our son was born was a truly happy day. It’s been almost a year now, and I’ve been recalling that day more and more as we near little man’s first birthday. It was such a relief to survive labor, such a joyful experience to stare into the eyes of our newborn son.
- Rain or snow?
RAIN! Rain means that I don’t have to water my yard. After the drought last year, having an oddly-shaped yard with no in-ground sprinklers means being extremely grateful for rain.
- Most random thing in your purse right now.
LOL — I’m a mom. That makes the most random thing in my purse at the moment……..a pacifier that fell on the floor in Target.
- Type of jewelry you wear most often. (i.e. rings, earrings, necklaces)
My wedding ring. I don’t really wear any other jewelry. I’m not sure why. Laziness, mostly. Also, pretty necklaces don’t really go with my standard sweatpants and t-shirt attire.
- A song that reminds you of high school.
Easy — “She Likes Me for Me.” Scott and I used to hear that song all the time when we were driving to a movie or out to eat. It became (unofficially) (to me) OUR song.
- How much water do you drink every day?
I drink A LOT of water. It’s at least the recommended 64oz per day, but may be more. Hydration is important!
Now, I’m supposed to come up with my own questions and “tag” other people, but I don’t really have a lot of “blog friends” so I’m going to skip it.